A Smart Home is a home built with security, energy, lighting, and electronic systems that can be controlled according to a predetermined time schedule, as well as remotely from any location in the world. Smart products provide the same benefits that technology has introduced in the past - convenience, comfort and saving time and money.
Some homes are constructed with inbuilt smart systems, but many homeowners choose to retrofit smart products into an existing property.
Here are some examples of smart home technology:
- Remotely controlled heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC)
- Lighting control system
- Appliance control and integration with smart grids and smart meters
- Remotely controlled watering systems for house plants
- Household security systems such as remote surveillance of security cameras or central locking of all doors and windows.
- Remotely controlled audiovisual technology
- Leak detection, smoke and CO detectors
- Home automation for the elderly and disabled