An Introduction to Downtown Montreal
Downtown Montreal (Centre Ville) is the central core and business district in Montreal. Residents of this neighbourhood have the closest access to malls, restaurants, movie theatres, museums, universities, and corporate offices.
Things to do and see in Downtown Montreal
Here are some local landmarks and activities enjoyed by residents of Downtown Montreal
- Exhibitions at the MAC or MBAM museum
- Shopping in Montreal's sprawling "underground city."
- A variety of dining and nightlife options
- Cultural events at Place des Arts
Accessibility and Surroundings
Downtown Montreal is in the central core of Montreal, nestled between Old Montreal, the Plateau, Griffintown and St Henri.
- Municipality: VilleMarie
- Neighbouring:Old Montreal, the Plateau, Griffintown and St Henri.
- Closest metro stop: McGill, Guy Concordia, Place des Arts, St Laurent, Berri Uqam, etc
- Fitness centres: YMCA, Enso Yoga, Nautilus Plus, Écono-fitness, etc
- Schools: McGill University, Concordia University, Uqam, College du Montreal, Sacred Heart, etc
Downtown Montreal contains a diverse demographic of both French and English speakers.
- Average age: 38.6
- Spoken language: 60.4% bilingual, 5.5% French only, 31.9% English only
- University degree: 67%
- Top Industry: Business Services (22.5%)
- Average family income: $65,128
Downtown Montreal is host to skyscrapers, modern condo projects, commercial buildings, and older apartment buildings.
- Median condo price: $325,000
- Owner occupied: 24.5%
- Tenant occupied: 75.5%
- Small buildings: 19.1%
- Large buildings (incl. condos): 75%
- Duplexes: 4%
- Townhouses: 3.1%
- Single Family Homes: 1.6%
Recommended Residential Streets
- Dr Penfield, Sherbrooke
Statistics source: Ville de Montreal, Centris.