An Introduction to Old Montreal
Old Montreal is the historical district of Montreal and has preserved much of its quaint European charm. In the summer months its cobblestone streets, museums, and souvenir boutiques attract tourists from around the world. Although accommodation tends to be pricier in this area, many professionals choose to live in Old Montreal due to its luxury condos and proximity to office spaces.
Things to do and see in Old Montreal
Here are some local landmarks and activities enjoyed by residents of Old Montreal
- Wining and dining at Old Montreal's fine-cuisine restaurants
- The Old Port
- Art exhibitions and cultural events at the Bonsecours Market
- 5 à 7 events at Old Montreal's terrace bars
- Boutique and artisanal shopping
- Sightseeing at the Basilica and Place Jacques Cartier
Accessibility and Surroundings
As part of Montreal's central district (Ville Marie), Old Montreal is one of the most accessible neighbourhoods, located within walking distance from both Downtown and the Business District.
- Municipality: Ville-Marie
- Driving time to Downtown: 5 minutes
- Neighbouring: Griffintown, Downtown, The Village
- Closest metro stop: Square Victoria, Champs-de-Mars
- Bus lines: various
- Supermarkets: IGA, Provida
- Fitness centres: Studio Gymnasia, Multigym, Bota-Bota spa
- Schools: Cégep du Vieux Montreal
Old Montreal is a popular neighbourhood among by professionals, international employees, and French expats.
- Population: 3,478
- Largest age bracket: 45-59 (27%)
- Spoken language: 75.7% bilingual, 27.2% French only, 9.3% English only
- University degree: 66%
- Top Industry: Management (24%)
- Average family income: $116,003
In Montreal, you can expect to find a mixture of historical buildings and modern luxury condominiums.
- Median condo price: $455,000
- Owner occupied: 58%
- Tenant occupied: 42%
- Small buildings: 44.7%
- Large buildings (incl. condos): 51.4%
- Townhouses: 0.5%
- Single Family Homes: 0%
Recommended Residential Streets
- St Paul, Rue Soeur Grises
Statistics source: Ville de Montreal, Centris.