An Introduction to Plateau Mont-Royal
The Plateau offers beautiful homes in the classic Montreal style- with sweeping staircases, coloured windows and tree lined streets. Its charming architecture and vast selection of recreational options make it a popular neighbourhood amongst students, families and professionals alike. The Plateau Mont-Royale neighbourhood includes the lower Plateau on the South end, and Mile End on the North end.
Things to do and see in the Plateau
Here are some local landmarks and activities enjoyed by residents of Plateau Mont-Royale
- Sports or leisure at Mont Royale park
- Enjoying diverse culinary experiences from Schwatz's sandwiches and Saint Viateur bagels to molecular gastronomy.
- Live music concerts at the Metropolis, Casa del Popolo and Divan Orange.
- Local microbreweries and coffee shops
- Shopping on Saint Denis street
- Picnics at la Fontaine park
Accessibility and Surroundings
Plateau Mont-Royal is easily accessible from Downtown Montreal by bus or metro.
- Municipality: Plateau Montreal
- Driving time to Downtown: 5-10 minutes
- Neighbouring: Mile End, Downtown Rosemont
- Closest metro stop: Mont-Royale, Sherbrooke, Laurier
- Bus lines: various
- Supermarkets: various
- Fitness centres: Anytime Fitness, L'Écurie, Centre Kinesphère
- Schools: École Le Plateau, FACE, Bancroft Elementary
Plateau Montreal is populated by a bilingual community, featuring a mix of students, artists, young professionals, and families.
- Population: 312,397
- Average age: 34
- Spoken language: 69.1% bilingual, 19.7% French only, 9.8% English only
- University degree: 61.5%
- Top Industry: Sales (19.8%)
- Average family income: $62,034
In the Plateau, you can expect to find walk-up duplexes and townhouses with old-style stone masonry, as well as apartment buildings.
- Median condo price: $327,000
- Owner occupied: 30.4%
- Tenant occupied: 69.6%
- Small buildings: 74.2%
- Large buildings (incl. condos): 15.1%
- Duplexes: 8.2%
- Townhouses: 2.1%
- Single Family Homes: 0.1%
Recommended Residential Streets
- Laurier, Marie-Anne
Statistics source: Ville de Montreal, Centris.