An Introduction to Griffintown
This former industrial district has seen rapid development and revitalization over the past decade. Scores of new condo developments have sprung up in the area as well as new businesses, production firms, restaurants, and trendy boutiques. Griffintown's location, nestled between the business district, the Old Port and the Downtown core, makes it a hugely popular option among Montreal's young professionals.
Things to do and see in Griffintown
Here are some local landmarks and activities enjoyed by residents of Griffintown:
- Biking or jogging along the Lachine Canal
- Contemporary art exhibitions at Arsenal Gallery
- Sports and music events at the Bell Centre
- 5 à 7 drinks at the many bars along Notre Dame street.
- Lounging at the rooftop pools in Griffintown's condo projects.
Accessibility and Surroundings
Griffintown is within walking distance to Downtown / the business district, flanking Old Montreal to the East and St Henri to the West.
- Municipality: South West
- Driving time to Downtown: 5 minutes
- Neighbouring: Old Montreal, St Henri, Pointe St Charles, Downtown
- Closest metro stop: Bonaventure metro and Lucien L'Allier, orange line
- Bus lines: various
- Metro and Adonis supermarkets
- Fitness centres: Klub Athletik, Studio Breath, Multi Gym and more
- Schools: none
Griffintown is the preferred residential district of many young professionals, as well as empty nesters.
- Population: 6,446
- Largest age bracket: 24-35 (36.9%) and 35-64 (39%)
- Spoken language: 73.6% bilingual, 8.8% French only, 16.5% English only
- University degree: 76.5%
- Top Industry: Business, Finance and Administration (22.4%)
- Average family income: $97,233
In Griffintown, you can expect to find high rises, newly built condo projects, and a few smaller, semi-detached buildings on the Western end towards St Henri.
- Median condo price: $305,000
- Owner occupied: 64.5%
- Tenant occupied: 35.7%
- Small buildings: 9.1%
- Large buildings (incl. condos): 89.8%
- Townhouses: 0.6%
- Single Family Homes: 0.3%
Recommended Residential Streets
- Basins street, Rue de la Montagne
Statistics source: Ville de Montreal, Centris.